Monday, March 7, 2011

Fire in Bukit Sekilau!

A fire Monday afternoon razed a workers living quarters in Bukit Sekilau, Kuantan, Malaysia.

I'm not sure how it started. But there are no living quarters left. I noticed it was getting a little hazy around 2pm:



But it was soon apparent that this was no haze:



Plumes of black smoke poured out from the wooden housing




There was soon a large crowd as the flames began to grow




The sound of cracking planks of wood filled the air as waves of intense heat blasted my face







My wife, watching events from the window of our apartment down the road, brought in the clothes




The firemen arrived when the fire was at its highest. I was amazed as they jumped out of the fire engine, grabbed a hose and sprinted right on in towards the fire. Such bravery.









A fireman scrambles for more equipment, as below, a fire hydrant fails to function due to an agonisingly blocked pipe




The one time you need the fire hydrant, and it doesn't work! It's very fortunate there were no people trapped inside



Nothing seemed to work, but back-up soon arrived








The fire fighters eventually got the blaze under control







The final image was taken a couple of hours later when I went to survey the damage:





I feel for the Indonesian workers who once lived here as they worked on a housing project nearby. I hope they will be taken care of.






4 comments:

  1. Good that nobody was hurt! The firemen are everywhere so brave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's so sad. I'm so relieved that no one was trapped or hurt--whew. Those are nice pictures, thank you for posting them as well as your view of the fire.

    So sad that the firefighters couldn't get that fire to work.

    Fires are pretty scary--my son caught a mattress on fire in the basement, luckily the floor had about an inch of water from our very old water heater's pressure valve. Ugh.

    ♥.•*¨ Elizabeth ¨*•.♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were no injuries, the workers have another place to stay, and the contractor gave them RM500 each.

    Elizabeth, thanks for joining my blog and hope you'll enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts, comments and opinions. I'll be responding soon! I will not be publishing anonymous comments so make sure you leave your name with your comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...