Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Merdeka Parade, Aug 31st, 2014

I know it's a little late but I wanted to include this post as it was a first for me.


It was the first time I was at Dataran Merdeka to see the merdeka parade. August 31st is Malaysia's Independence Day, and each year a parade goes through Merdeka Square. 

We were staying at The Majestic Hotel which is just 10 minutes walk from the venue. I woke up early, around 6am while the others were fast asleep. I wasn't planning on walking right down to Dataran Merdeka; just thought I'd watch them all go by the hotel.

Snapped this photo of The Majestic Hotel KL around 7:30am

I watched a barrage of tanks make their way past the hotel amidst much din. Quite impressive.





I followed the line of tanks down the road until I reached Dataran Merdeka. While the machinery was impressive, I was not so proud of the sight of soldiers in and around the tanks smoking away on cigarettes. Anyway, that's a different story...





Managed to find myself a spot amongst the huge crowds right here...


A number of national songs were blasted out of the speakers right behind where I was standing, including 'Negaraku'  and one of my personal favourites, 'Jalur Gemilang,' which I was able to sing along to. Despite the large crowds, there was no pushing and shoving, everyone seemed to behave themselves well, and the police did a very good job at maintaining order. I must say, it was a very patriotic atmosphere, and I felt very much Malaysian myself, and a deep sense of belonging to this land.



Carrying a large Malaysia flag in the parade



A young child waves the Malaysia flag as the parade passes by



I was given a Malaysia flag which I waved proudly during the 'Jalur Gemilang' song. As I already was carrying an ipad and a camera, I ended up inserting the flagstick in my pocket, as many others did.


Managed to find a window ledge to stand on which gave me a better view of proceedings and a more favourable angle for taking photos.







Around 9:30am I began to make my way through the crowds and headed back to the hotel. I was getting rather hungry!

Some sort of Malaysian SWAT team

I walked the slightly uphill journey back to The Majestic Hotel and slipped into Contango to join my family who were having breakfast there. 



4 comments:

  1. Those are some beautiful pictures. I'm glad you enjoyed the parade. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen the parade as I'm not fond of big crowds. Thanks for sharing the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been to Merdeka Day parade before babe! Hihi I'm glad you did and took some lovely photos. Oh, I woke up and saw the program on tele. Hoping that counts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Misha, yes it was great. Enjoyed it more than I expected!

    Monica, I'm not too keen on huge crowds either, but it really was a great experience. Could feel the patriotism!

    Fie, not too sure if sleeping through most of it when you're just a stone's throw away from it counts?!?! But you were with Leah so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts, comments and opinions. I'll be responding soon! I will not be publishing anonymous comments so make sure you leave your name with your comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...